Do licensed attorneys work in SLSs office

A:            Yes! We have two licensed attorneys at SLS. Our Supervising Attorney, Chris Malloy, has been practicing law since 2004, and our Assistant Supervising Attorney, Amanda Elkins, has been practicing since 2010. They are both in good standing with the Iowa Supreme Court and are members of the Iowa State Bar Association.


Are SLSs services

A:            Yes! Our attorneys are bound by the Iowa Rules of Professional Conduct just like any other attorney. Even if we do not represent you in court, your communication with us is protected by attorney-client privilege. We cannot tell anyone, not even the University or your parents, about your legal issue, unless you give us permission.


how much does SLS charge2

A:            Our advice is free. If we are hired to represent a student we charge a one-time flat fee based on the type and complexity of the case. Our fees are higher than what you would pay a public defender, but significantly lower that what you would expect to pay a private attorney in the Iowa City area. The fee can be paid with cash, check, or UBill.



why are SLSs

A:            Because we aren’t here to make a profit! We are funded by the University of Iowa Student Government; we receive a portion of the student activity fee that students pay each year. As such, we can only advise and represent currently registered University of Iowa students.


Does SLS

A:            Yes, we regularly represent University of Iowa students in Johnson County, Iowa. We represent students in a number of areas including criminal, small claims, and divorce.


What are SLSs hours

A:            We are open from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday including winter break and in the summer. We are closed on State holidays.


How can I

A:            You can call our office at (319) 335.3276, or fill out a brief questionnaire on our website: http://legal.studentlife.uiowa.edu/appointments/


why wont SLS

A:             We can only speak to you about your child’s case if you child has given us written authorization. Students are not required to give us that authorization.


Do you do phone consultations  1

A:             No, we do not. It is important to us to meet with students in person to talk about their legal issues.


i want to 1

A:             Unfortunately, we can’t. All students are potential clients at SLS because all students pay a student activity fee. We cannot give you legal advice if it would adversely affect another student. We offer free mediation services if both you and your roommate would like to come in to meet with us to discuss your situation.


Check out this video for more information!